Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Catching Up for Wordsmith Studio's 3rd Anniversary


As part of Wordsmith Studio's 3rd Anniversary, the group is hosting a blog hop. The blog hop is in the capable hands of Wordsmith Studio Advisory Group member Elissa Field and re-starts every Wednesday this month. She is sharing prompts for blog posts or you can use a favorite post from within the last month.

The first prompt is a Q&A to let people know about your writing. Here goes!

Are you a WSSer (a member of Wordsmith)?

Yes, I have been a member from the beginning. After participating regularly in the Tuesday #wschats on Twitter for about two years, I started helping with the hosting about this time last year. I am primarily a host for the Night Owl chat, which begins at 9 p.m. Eastern time, but I fill in on the Early Bird chat when needed. I also write or take a picture based on the creative prompts posted on the Wordsmith Studio website. 

What medium do you work in?

I write poetry. I began writing poetry out of a grief experience and have published a chapbook called I Keep You with Me. I also write jazz poetry and Ekphrastic poetry, which is poetry inspired by visual art.

What’s the name of your current project?

My current project is participating in Robert Lee Brewer's Poem-A-Day Challenge as part of National Poetry Month. As of this writing, I am 13-for-13. This is definitely the best start I have had in the challenge.

What is your favorite detail, sentence or other bit you’ve written lately?

In response to the Wordsmith Studio Creative Prompt-Trapped, I wrote a poem entitled Books. I have always love to read. Since I like to read mysteries, I have a hard time putting a book down until I know the outcome.

Any obstacles or I-hate-this-chapter moments?

Procrastination and my head. In other words, not sitting down and writing, and letting my inner editor get in the way.

What’s the biggest thing you’ve learned lately from your writing?

WSS did some word sprints as part of it's New Year's celebration. After participating in those, I set a goal of writing for a minimum of 15 minutes each day. I learned I could accomplish quite a bit in that amount of time. I also was more focused than if I just "sat down to write". I realized it was OK to write gobbledygook to get started.

In what ways do you hope to grow in the next 6 months/year?

Create better images and use stronger words in my poetry.

In what ways do writing friends and communities help you do that?

They help by offering feedback and support. The  #wschat is a great place to get encouragement if you're discouraged or congratulations if something good has happened. People also leave comments on blogs or Facebook posts. I also go to an in-person critique group that is very helpful with feedback. 

What else should we have asked you, or what would you ask other writers?

Some of my Ekphrastic poems are inspired by my own photographs. I combine the two into visual art pieces and have had a few shows in the past couple of years.

Links




Follow me on Twitter or click the Join this Site link to follow this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment