Thursday, November 1, 2012

A New Challenge

Today is the first day of Robert Lee Brewer's 2012 November PAD Chapbook Challenge. He will post a prompt each day in November and those willing to take the challenge will try to create new poems from the prompts within about 24 hours of the post.

I did the PAD Challenge that Robert did in April of this year. It was the first writing challenge I had done and I found it interesting.

 The first thing I realized was that, most of the time, an idea was not going to come to me the moment I read the prompt.  It was not going to come to me if I stared at the prompt or even if I thought really hard about the prompt. I had to write the idea out of the prompt. In other words, I had to start putting words down on paper until I wrote something that I wanted to continue writing about.

Some days, I ended up with just a few lines. Some days, I ended up with a group of lines that had the potential to be a poem; and some days, I actually ended up with poems. I still go through what I wrote during that challenge to see if I can turn the few into groups and the potential into poems.

So, now I'm ready for a new challenge that will teach me something else about writing and give me possibilities for the coming months.
 
Good luck to everyone who's taking on a writing challenge this month!

 
Follow me on Twitter


4 comments:

  1. Good luck, Michelle. This looks tougher to me than NaNoWriMo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's your poetry bias speaking, Lara. Thanks and good luck to you. I look forward to following your NaNoWriMo adventures.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to it Michelle. I can't manage this challenge right now but it'll be lovely for me to read your work. So I'll be right here cheering you on. GO MICHELLE! (imagine pom-poms)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica. I'm going to call on that cheer throughout the challenge.

      Delete