Thursday, April 20, 2017

Sonnets


Sonnets

I have trouble writing sonnets.
Why?  Can't quite put my finger on it.
Maybe writing in the shadow of The Bard
is what makes the form so hard.
The lines are a bit long for my taste.
The effort I have to put into them seems a waste.

When I try to write iambic verse,
my mind spouts trochaic, just the reverse.
I'm supposed to write 14 lines,
but I wind up long with 15 or short with nine.
I can't seem to meet all the requirements.
I may put writing sonnets into retirement.

The one feature on which I can depend
is the rhyming couplet at the end.

This was written for one of the Two-for-Tuesday prompts in the Poem-A-Day Challenge. Do you like working with forms? Why or why not?

Links






Follow me on Twitter or click the blue Follow Button to follow this blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment